Egyptians also form smaller minorities in neighboring countries, North America, Europe and Australia.Egyptians also tend to be provincial, meaning their attachment extends not only to Egypt but to the specific provinces, towns and villages from which they hail.
Additionally, a sizable minority of Egyptians living in Upper Egypt speak Sa'idi Arabic.
Egyptians are predominantly adherents of Sunni Islam with a Shia minority and a significant proportion who follow native Sufi orders. The majority live near the banks of the Nile River where the only arable land is found.
Close to half of the Egyptian people today are urban; most of the rest are fellahin that are native, along with descendants of several Arab tribes living in rural towns and villages.
A large influx of fellahin into urban cities, and rapid urbanization of many rural areas since the early 20th century, have shifted the balance between the number of urban and rural citizens.
Hanremenkīmi) are an ethnic group and the citizens of Egypt sharing a common culture and a variety of Egyptian Arabic. The population of Egypt is concentrated in the lower Nile valley, the small strip of cultivable land stretching from the First Cataract to the Mediterranean and enclosed by desert both to the east and to the west.
This unique geography has been the basis of the development of Egyptian society since antiquity.
If regarded as a single ethnic group, the Egyptian people constitute one of the world's largest.
The daily language of the Egyptians is the local variety of Arabic, known as Egyptian Arabic or Masri.
Approximately 70% of Egyptian migrants live in Arab countries (923,600 in Saudi Arabia, 332,600 in Libya, 226,850 in Jordan, 190,550 in Kuwait with the rest elsewhere in the region) and the remaining 30% are living mostly in Europe and North America (318,000 in the United States, 110,000 in Canada and 90,000 in Italy).
Their characteristic rootedness as Egyptians, commonly explained as the result of centuries as a farming people clinging to the banks of the Nile, is reflected in sights, sounds and atmosphere that are meaningful to all Egyptians.
Dominating the intangible pull of Egypt is the ever present Nile, which is more than a constant backdrop.